GLNC operates through the support of Contributors to the Council. Contributors gain access to valuable resources, insights and the opportunity to leverage the independent position of the GLNC with key opinion leaders and regulators. As an organisation GLNC houses a significant amount of research, data and insights and offers a range of services for interested organisations. For further information and to join GLNC today, contact Michelle Broom, General Manager, on 02 9394 8662 or email@example.com.
Nutrition Science Knowledge – Evidence base
GLNC has a rich resource base of data, analysis and evidence based material, along with three full time Accredited Practising Dietitians on staff, which allows the organisation to undertake the following tasks:
- Health Claims: prepares and manages dossiers of evidence that allow self-substantiation of general level health claims for grain foods and legumes. Development of high level health claims can be conducted upon request*
- Critical analyses on the latest local and international scientific nutrition and health papers relating to grains and legumes
- Develops key science topic review papers to assess the total body of evidence, e.g. immunity, lectins, inflammation
- Develops specific nutrition information to support product development and communications, fully referenced
- Provides expert advice and opinion on nutrition and health matters to ensure products are developed and promoted in line with industry best practice, latest science and legislation, including compliance with the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code*
- Develops product Nutrition Information Panels in compliance with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including guidance on the serve size required to allow use of the most appropriate nutrient claims
- Project manages research projects on behalf of organisations to ensure deliverables are achieved.
*Fee for service may apply subject to consultancy requirements
Data – To inform decisions
GLNC houses a range of data, which includes:
- Online database of over 1,200 local and international peer-reviewed scientific papers relating to grains and legumes, consumer research reports, presentations, selected data and statistics
- Comprehensive nutrient analysis of Australian grown grains and legumes
- Key Messages Manual and Issues Management Manual detailing evidence-based responses to key issues related to nutrition and grains and legumes
- Grains and legume foods category review data comprising of nutrients and on-pack claims
- Weekly media reports tracking sentiment and coverage of grains and legumes. In addition, tracking of individual mentions of grains and legumes, reported on a quarterly basis.
Advocacy – To drive action
The independent position of GLNC enables the Council to influence and drive action on regulatory and policy change. The Council:
- Develops policy discussion papers and public health policy and regulatory submissions
- Reviews the latest updates and insights on legislative and regulatory changes
- Offers insights into commercial application and the impact of regulatory and policy decisions on organisations
- As an independent authority, the Council has the ability to discuss product innovations, new scientific research and consumer resources on behalf of the industry with key opinion leaders, such as media and dietitians, through stakeholder briefings and meetings.
Consumer Knowledge – Valuable insights
GLNC undertakes notable consumer research that generates a raft of information on consumer attitudes and perceptions about grains and legumes including consumption. This includes:
- GLNC’s Consumption and Attitudinal Study – 2009, 2011 and 2014
- GLNC’s Trends and Insights Reports covering new product development, industry trends and new and emerging grains and legumes
- GLNC’s Australian Health Survey Secondary Analysis Report
Marketing Tools & Resources – Value-add
Add value to your brand or business and stand out from the crowd by accessing GLNC’s range of marketing tools and communication channels.
- Use of GLNC logo on pack and off pack for grain and legume foods that qualify for certification under the Code of Practice for Whole Grain Ingredient Content Claims
- Leverage the power of GLNC name and logo as third party endorsement for product marketing campaigns. Separate to product certification, this applies to campaigns consistent with GLNC’s position on nutrition and health and is subject to GLNC approval
- Leverage GLNC in company media releases, collateral or marketing material through the use of independent GLNC quotes relating to the nutrition and health benefit or need to incorporate more grains and legumes in the diet
- Access GLNC brochures on the health benefits of grain foods and legumes to complement marketing initiatives or use on product specific websites as resources for consumers
- GLNC has a social media community of over 39,000 and growing, providing a captive audience to communicate with.