Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 small or medium beetroot, washed
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbs tahini
- Approximately 1 cup water
- Wrap the beetroots in foil and cook in a 200 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until tender when poked with a knife. Remove from the oven, chop off the rough end and cut into chunks. Allow to cool.
- Place the cooled beetroot, chickpeas, spices, garlic, juice and tahini in the bowl of a food processor. Blend, gradually adding water until spreadable/dippable consistency is reached. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with crackers or vegie sticks.
You can peel the beets if you want to, but this can get very messy