Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 8 Hours Soaking – 5 Mins Prep
Cooking time: 30mins
- 1.5 cups dry chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs Horseradish
- 150g reduced fat cream cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Soak chickpeas for approximately 8 hours. You need to do this process so you don’t crack a tooth on these hard little golden gems.
- Simmer the chickpeas for 30 minutes or until edible.
- Drain the chickpeas and cool. Yes, it’s that simple, the not-so-hard work is almost done.
Once cool, add the remanding ingredients.
- Dust off your barmix, or your weapon of choice and prepare yourself for a unique textured experience. Work the barmix through the ingredients until all are combined and the chickpeas are smashed. The texture should look rustic, rough and irregular.
Consume to your hearts content on biscuits, in sandwiches or on your favourite hamburger with a dash of relish.
Feeling satisfied? So you should be. You are supporting the Australian farming industry.
- Chickpeas love to be slow cooked. Place the dry chickpeas into the slow cooker on high, cover in boiling water. Add a chicken or vegetable stock cube to spice up your life. Leave be for 3.5 hours until cooked to perfection!
- Cooked chickpeas can also be frozen. They are great to have on hand for spare of the moment creations, simply place them in an airtight container in the freezer section of you kitchen.
- Smashed Chickpeas are an easy way to combine with your favourite flavours. Edit this recipe to craft your own Australian signature dish.