Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 x 400g red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 100g flat mushrooms (portabello), diced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon tamari or light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
- your favorite tomato relish or chilli jam, optional
- Drain and rinse the beans, set aside.
Heat medium sized frying pan over medium heat.
When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and the onion and sautee for 2-3 minutes
until the onion starts to soften and brown.
Add the mushrooms and sautee for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Place beans, onion and mushroom mix, coriander, oats, soy sauce, cumin and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and blend for about 10 seconds or until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop mixture out and shape into burgers.
Place on a plate or tray sprinkled with the wholemeal flour and toss around to coat.
Heat frying pan over medium heat, add the remaining oil and the burgers and
cook for 2-3 minutes on either side, until browned.
Serve with lots of salad or steamed vegetables, and relish if desired
Makes 8 burgers
Do ahead notes:
These burgers can be cooked and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 1 month
This burger mix can be made into smaller (16) ‘meatballs’ and served on top of zoodles with pasta sauce and pesto