Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 cups red split lentils
- 2L beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (alternatively 1 finely chopped red chilli)
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 medium sweet potato diced
- 3 cup pumpkin diced
- 1 lemon
- 1 tblspoon olive oil
- add to a large saucepan the lentils, stock, chopped garlic, carrot and oelek sambal, simmer with lid on.
- After 10mins add pumpkin and sweet potato, stir
In olive oil, fry the chopped onion until clear.
- After 30 minutes of lentils cooking, add onions and cummin to lentil soup and stir in.
Top up with water if consistency becomes too thick.
Finely chop whole lemon including rind, add this and any juice to lentils.
Add salt to your taste.
Simmer until carrot soft, approx 1 hour.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with pepitas and sunflower seeds, and tomato relish.
This recipe is Gluten Free, dairy free and low GI