Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 30
Cooking time: 20
- 250gm Skinned Black Lentils,
- 1 Ltr Water to Soak,
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder,
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder,
- 1 medium size potato,
- 4 medium size florets of Cauliflower,
- 1 tsp Fresh Coriander(finely chopped),
- ½ tsp Garlic,
- A quarter of a medium Red onion,
- Salt to taste,
- Oil for sealing
- Soak the lentil for at least 2 hours or until it softens.
- Then blend the lentil in pulses in the food processor until coarse texture
(overblending results in floury texture) .
- Set the lentil aside in a bowl and and finely chop coriander, potato, cauliflower and red onion and then mix them with the lentil along with the salt, turmeric and coriander powder.
then set aside to rest about half an hour
- After the paste is ready, heat oil in a non-stick pan and seal the lentil patties before putting them on a paper lined oven tray ready for the oven.
- When all the patties are sealed put them in the pre-heated oven (250 C) for about 10-15 minutes and they are firm and cooked through.
As the Bara is served either with TOMATO, CUMIN AND MUSTARD SAUCE OR MEAT ORIENTED SAUCE. WE ARE DOING RECIPES for both the sauces:
Tomato, Cumin and Mustard Sauce
200 g Tomato
¼ tsp Mustard seed (yellow)
¼ tsp Cumin seed
Salt to taste
4-6 leaves Mint
1. Heat oil in a little pan and add mustard seed and cumin seed and cook till dark brown.
2. Add the tomato to the pan and add salt as well
3. Leave them to cook until tomatoes cook.
4. After that leave them to cool down and then blend it with the mint leaves and the sauce is ready to be served
Chicken and Chickpea Sauce
100 ml Chicken Stock
20gm Chickpeas cooked
Salt To taste
Pepper To taste
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
¼ onion finely chopped
¼ tsp Garlic
¼ tsp Fennel Seed
1. Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seed and cook until golden brown.
2. Then add onion and garlic together and cook until they sweat. Add the turmeric, pepper and salt after sweating and then add chickpeas
3. Finally add chicken stock and reduce it by 3 quarters.
4. Finally blend the sauce with chickpeas and it will be ready to go with the Bara.