Difficulty of recipe preparation: Intermediate
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 medium red chilli
- 1 TBS panch poran (Bengali Five Spice)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tin diced tomato
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 head cauliflower florets
- 1 x brown onion
- juice of 1 x lemon
- Chop onion, garlic, ginger and chilli finely
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add onion and cook gently until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Then add ginger, garlic, chilli and spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, water, lentils and cauliflower to the saucepan. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils have broken down and the cauliflower is tender.
- Add in the juice of 1 lemon
-If you like, spinach can be added in the final stages of cooking.
-More or less water can be added depending on how you like the consistency of the dhal, remember that it will thicken when cooled down.
-Garnish with fresh coriander and a wedge of lemon
-Serve with steamed brown rice