Difficulty of recipe preparation: Intermediate
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins +
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1-2 small red chillies, seeds removed & finely chopped
- 2 tsps finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 cup washed and drained french-style green lentils
- 1 large carrot washed and diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- For topping: 400 gms cauliflower cut into small florets
- 250 gms fresh ricotta
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds and 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 2 tbs chopped coriander
- Turn oven to 180 degrees C, fan-forced 160 degrees C.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and gently cook chopped onions until softened.
Add ginger, chillies and garlic and stir for a few minutes, then add spices & stir for a few minutes.
- Add lentils, stock, carrots and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Taste for seasoning. Put into 4-5 small ramekins or 1 larger casserole. Spoon topping over and gently spread. Cook for 30 minutes or until browned. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with Kasundi and a crisp green salad.
- For topping: Boil cauliflower florets in salted water until tender, drain and put into a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add ricotta and mash together. In a small pan heat 1 tsp oil and add seeds. shake about until popping. Cool for a few minutes and the add to ricotta mixture with chopped coriander. Mix well.