Difficulty of recipe preparation: Intermediate
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2.5 hours
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots cubed
- 2 zucchinis cubed
- 2 parsnips cubed
- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 litres water
- 1 cup brown lentils washed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of spinach leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- Half bunch fresh mint finely chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy based pot. Add onion, celery, carrot and zucchinis and cook until tender.
- Add water, parsnips, rosemary, lamb shanks and pepper bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils and simmer for 45 minutes checking water levels in pot. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove lamb shanks and shred meat. Return meat to the pot add spinach and lemon juice. When spinach has wilted remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with a spoonful of minted yogurt
- To make minted yoghurt. Place yogurt into a bowl. Add mint and stir until well combined.