Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 12-30 min
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 150 grams speck or smoked flat pancetta, thinly diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 cups Puy or Mt Byron lentils
- 1 litre water or salt reduced chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 good quality smoked sausages (eg: kransky)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker/large saucepan and add onions. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat, or until transluscent.
- Add speck or pancetta and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, lentils, bay leaf, stock or water and sausages. Stir well.
- If using a pressure cooker, put lid on and cook for 12 minutes on low heat once high pressure has been reached.
If using a regular saucepan, cook on medium heat with lid on for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.