Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 15
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 250g cooked lentils
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried corriander
- 1 tsp Moroccan seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (can use gluten free bread crumbs)
- 1 cup mashed potato (white or sweet)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of greek yoghurt
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handful mixed lettuce
- 6 wholemeal hamburger buns (or focaccia cut into small burger shapes)
- Add all ingredients up to and including the mashed potato, into a medium sized bowl and mix together well. The mixture should be able to be formed into patties that hold nicely together. If they are to sticky, you can add some more bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick fry plan over a relatively high heat, and cook burger patties until golden on both sides.
- Whilst the patties are frying, chop one sprig of fresh mint finely, and stir through the yogurt- set aside.
Cut burger bread into halves and grill until just showing signs of colour.
- Once Patties are cooked, assemble your burgers by smearing avocado on burger bread bases, and building a lentil patty, minted yogurt, sliced tomato and lettuce stack on top, finished with the burger top. Use a tooth pick and skewer the left over leaves of mint through the top of each burger and serve.
Add extra cayenne pepper for some extra bite!
If you have got a busy week ahead, make these up on a weekend, and store in the freezer until you need them.
These lentil patties could also be made smaller and tossed through a mixed salad.