Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- ½ cup dry red wine (Optional)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 1x 140g tub tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- ½ bunch each of parsley, basil and oregano, finely chopped
- Brown onion and garlic in olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Pick over lentils, removing any debris. Rinse well in a fine sieve and add to the saucepan.
- Add all other ingredients except for the herbs.
- In the last five minutes of cooking, add the freshly chopped herbs.
- Serve with cooked wholemeal pasta spirals, freshly grated parmesan cheese and a garden salad.
This simple, yet delicious twist on a family favourite has my kids begging for second and third helpings, and even has my father-in-law fooled! This sauce freezes well, and can also be used as a lasagne or eggplant parmigiana sauce.