Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups Toor dal (split yellow pigeon peas)
- 4-5 Tomatoes
- coriander-half a bunch finely chopped
- 2 Green chilles
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Mustard seeds-
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp gingerpaste
- 3/4 tsp garlicpaste
- 1.5 tbs oil
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- coriander powder-1tsp
- salt to taste
- 4.5 cups water boiled
- Put the Lentils (i.e. Split Yellow Pigeon Peas) into a bowl and wash them thoroughly. Add water to saucepan and boil the lentils until they are cooked soft. When it is boiling the foam will rise, just add a few drops of oil to settle the foam. And keep boiling until the lentils it is cooked (how you know it is cooked when you the press the lentils with your fingers it should mash).
- Wash and chop the tomatoes, coriander and curry leaves.
- Once the lentils are boiled, take a frypan for tempering. First, heat oil in the frying pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, stir on medium heat until they begin to pop, add green chillies, turmeric and mix well for 1 minute and then add ginger and garlic paste sauté until the raw flavour is gone and then add curry leaves, tomatoes, chopped coriander and coriander powder. After 5 minutes add salt, mix well and cover the frypan and cook the tomatoes till they are soft .
- Once the tomatoes are ready (soft) pour the contents of the frypan into the boiled lentils saucepan and let it all boil for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as per your taste and serve with rice or rotis.
As per your taste, you can choose to add green chillies to the frypan or, alternatively, you can add half a tea spoon of red chilli powder.