Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- ¼ cup dried red lentils
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- Pinch of salt
- Greek yoghurt to serve
- Place lentils in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low and allow to simmer for 7 to 10 minutes until lentils are soft. Drain and place cooked lentil in food processor and blend until a smooth puree.
- Mix almond meal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until combined. Add milk, eggs, maple syrup and pureed lentils and whisk to combine. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil and spoon one tablespoon of lentil batter – cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until slightly browned and cooked through.
- Top pancakes with fruit, yoghurt and maple syrup, if desired.
Berry Chia Jam
- 1 packet (400g) frozen raspberries or mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons desired sweetener e..g honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium to low heat, add the berries and sweetener and simmer over a low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Spoon into a clean glass jar, then add the chia seeds and mix through.
- Sit for 5 minutes before placing into the fridge.
- Rest for a minimum of 1 hour until the jam forms a gel-like consistency and use as required.
Recipe and image kindly provided by Kathleen Alleaume, founder of The Right Balance – for more recipes visit her website.