Indian spiced millet pilaf
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons mild Indian curry paste
- 1 cup (200 g) hulled millet
- 2 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 2 carrots, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups (50 g) baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup (45 g) dried currants
- Fresh coriander leaves, lime wedges
- and reduced fat Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook thinly sliced onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add curry paste and millet. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add stock, cinnamon and carrot. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until stock has absorbed. Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes or until millet is tender.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Use a fork to stir in baby spinach and currants. Cover and set aside for 2 minutes or until spinach just wilts.
- Serve with lime wedges, coriander leaves and reduced fat Greek yoghurt. Great with chargrilled French trimmed lamb cutlets.