Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large brown onions, finely sliced
- 300g chicken breast, diced
- 1 tablespoon Moroccanspice blend
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 x 420g cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 700ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Natural yoghurt, lemon wedges, fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Steamed green beans with toasted flaked almonds, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy based frying pan with a lid and cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes or until reddish brown. Set aside half the onions. Add remaining oil and chicken and stir until golden all over. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add garlic, rice, chickpeas, dates and pumpkin and stir to coat in spices. Add stock and scrape the bottom of the pan. Make sure the stock covers the meat, add cinnamon sticks and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes, remove lid and add peas, stir gently and cover for another 5 minutes.
- Top with reserved onions and fresh coriander. Serve lemon wedges and yoghurt on the side.