Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 litre low-salt chicken or vegetable stock,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 300g mushrooms, sliced or quartered (try to get more than one variety if possible)
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, quartered
- 3 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 50g low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring stock almost to the boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frypan or saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Increase heat to medium-high. Add garlic and cook for one minute before adding rice. Cook, stirring for another minute, then add a splash (50ml) of stock to the pan. After the stock has evaporated, add the remaining stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting for each addition of stock to be absorbed before adding the next. This process will take 20-25 minutes and requires stirring occasionally. If you run out of stock and the rice needs a little more cooking use hot water or more stock. Once the rice is al dente (soft but still with a little bite) stir through the baby spinach.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Add Brussels sprouts and rosemary and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and lightly charred.
- Divide risotto between serving bowls and top with mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. Garnish with feta then serve.