Serves: 6 as a side dish
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 cup wheat berries (wheat grains) or brown rice or risoni
- ¹⁄³cup white quinoa
- ²⁄³ cup salt reduced vegetable or chicken stock
- 200 g grape tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place wheat in a saucepan with 3 cups of water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 50 – 60 minutes or until wheat is tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add quinoa and stock to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until stock is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, parsley, mint and onion to the wheat. Toss to combine.
- Combine lemon juice and oil in a jug and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over wheat mixture. Toss to combine.
- Serve with lemon wedges