Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup of dried red lentils, washed and drained
- 750ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 200g lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices canned beetroot
- 8 baby cos lettuce leaves
- Low salt BBQ sauce, to serve
- 4 wholemeal rolls
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender, drain if there is any excess liquid. Allow to cool.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook onions until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- Combine cooled lentils with mince, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs and a little freshly cracked pepper. Form into 4 rissoles and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan onions were cooked in and cook rissoles over medium heat for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Toast rolls and assemble with rissoles, onions, tomato, beetroot, lettuce and sauce.