Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 200–250g each)
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 long jalapeño or green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves, plus extra, to garnish
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/2 firm ripe avocado, diced
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry with paper towel; prick all over with a fork. Place potatoes on prepared tray; bake, turning after 20 minutes, for 40–45 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Leave cooked potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make filling: Mix beans with tomatoes, shallots, jalapeño (or chilli), coriander and half the cheese in a large bowl; season with cracked black pepper.
- Score potato tops lengthways with a long cut. Open potatoes gently; mash flesh lightly with a fork. Spoon one-quarter of the filling into each potato; scatter with remaining cheese. Return potatoes to oven and bake for another 5–10 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese melts.
- Top potatoes with avocado, garnish with extra coriander and serve with mixed salad leaves.
Recipe kindly provided by the Australian Healthy Food Guide – for more recipes visit their website.