This recipe is a great way to use up leftover veggies and odd bits from the fridge. If you’re using precooked quinoa or rice, it can be on the table in minutes!
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 120g brown rice or quinoa
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 cups mixed raw or cooked veggies, such as sliced tomatoes, onions, cabbage, cucumber, capsicum
- 1 cup leafy greens
- hummus or guacamole to taste
- 2 tbsps mixed seeds, such as pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds
- Optional: leftover shredded chicken, salmon or crumbled feta
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cook the brown rice or quinoa as per pack instructions.
- Mix the chickpeas with the tsp olive oil, spices and seasoning to taste and place in a baking dish in the preheated oven for 15 minutes – shake half way through.
- Make your dressing by combining the EVOO, lemon juice and tahini with seasoning to taste.
- Divide the brown rice or quinoa, veg, leafy greens, chickpeas and a tablespoon or two of the hummus or guacamole between two bowls. Drizzle the dressing over and top with a sprinkling of seeds.
- Top with the chicken, salmon or feta if using.
Mix it up and use wheat berries or buckwheat instead of quinoa.