Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely shredded
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
- Place pearl barley in a medium saucepan with stock and set over medium heat. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes, or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Then add the sunflower seeds and pepitas and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add half the olive oil to the pan and return to medium heat. Add shredded fennel and cook for 6–8 minutes, turning once, until tender. Transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil to pan and cook shallots and mushrooms until tender.
- Add corn and heat through; stir in barley and fennel. Place salad on serving plates, sprinkle with chopped parsley and roasted seeds, and serve with spoonfuls of yoghurt.
- Serving suggestion: Serve as is or with pan-fried pork medallions or grilled chicken breast.
Use whole grain barley to up the fibre content of this dish.
Recipe courtesy of the Australian Healthy Food Guide – for more of their delicious recipes please visit their website.