Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 50mins
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup no added sugar or salt nut &/or seed butter (such as Mayver’s Original Super Spread)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1/2 large red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dollop plain natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line the bottom and sides of a small round cake tin (approx. 18cm in diameter) with baking paper.
- Place chickpeas, nut butter, honey, vanilla, egg, baking powder and bi-carb soda in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour cake batter into cake tin and top with apple slices arranged in a pinwheel shape. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for around 50 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
Recipe courtesy of 2016 International Year of Pulses Australian Signature Dish Recipe Competition, entered by Megan Cameron-Lee, NSW