Serves: 6 as a side dish
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- ¾ cup McKenzie’s French style lentils
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 red apple, quartered, cored and sliced ﬁnely
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced ﬁnely lengthwise
- 3 celery stalks, sliced ﬁnely
- 5 spring onions, sliced ﬁnely
- ¹⁄³ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Place lentils and ¾ cup of water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add quinoa and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until stock is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- To prepare dressing, place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a serving bowl, combine cooked and well drained lentils and quinoa with apple, cucumber, celery and spring onions. Pour over dressing and mix well.
Recipe and image kindly provided by McKenzie’s Foods.