Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 100 g split dried fava beans
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp mild dried chilli
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley and/or mint
- smoked paprika to garnish
- Boil the split dried fava beans in plenty of water for 30 minutes. (After 30 minutes’ cooking the beans will be soft and creamy but will largely be still intact with some bite – this will give a coarse hummus. For a smoother consistency cook for 40 minutes in just enough water, topping up if necessary, and the beans will cook down to a more consistently creamy paste.)
- Meanwhile mix up 2 tablespoon each of tahini, olive oil and lemon juice, stirring well for a creamy consistency. Add half a teaspoon each of mild dried chilli and lemon zest, a tablespoon of chopped parsley and/or mint, plus a little lemon zest. Crush and finely chop the garlic, then add to the tahini dressing.
- When the beans are cooked, drain, place in a bowl and stir in the tahini dressing.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley and smoked paprika.
This recipe comes courtesy of the Global Pulse Confederation.