Serves: 13, makes 1 loaf
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine dry ingredients in a silicone or greased non-stick loaf tin. Stir well with a fork.
- Add water and oil, and mix until the ingredients are well combined and dough is very thick. Let dough sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Dough is ready to be baked when solid.
- Preheat oven to 175ºC. Bake loaf for 20 minutes, then remove from the tin and bake directly on oven rack for 30–40 minutes, until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow the baked loaf to cool completely before slicing.
- Walnut and almond bread: Replace half the almonds with walnut pieces.
- Gluten-free seed and nut bread: Swap rolled oats for quinoa flakes.
- Fruit and nut bread: Replace chia seeds with 1 tablespoon each sultanas, dried cranberries and finely chopped dates.
Thin, toasted slices make a great alternative to crackers.
Recipe courtesy of the Australian Healthy Food Guide – for more of their delicious recipes please visit their website.