Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1. Hours
- 500 g dry green split peas or yellow split peas
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 low-salt chicken stock cube
- 12 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover and simmer for approximately 1 – 1.5 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf and remove hock. Cut the skin from the hock and discard. Remove the ham from the bone, dice and set aside.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender.
- Add ham back into pureed soup and stir through.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
Recipe and image kindly provided by McKenzie’s Foods.