Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1. – 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g lean beef or lamb, cubed
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup dried chickpeas
- 2 litres salt reduced chicken stock or water
- ¾ cup dried red lentils
- ¼ cup long grain rice
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 x 400 g cans salt reduced crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and add meat. Cook until lightly browned. Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add the chick peas and stock or water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 1 – 1. hours, until the chickpeas are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the coriander. Simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes or until all ingredients are tender.
- To serve, stir in chopped coriander and season to taste.
Reduce stock by half to produce a thick consistency and serve as a tasty filling in wraps for lunch.
Recipe and image kindly provided by McKenzie’s Foods.