Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 60 min
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, ﬁnely diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, ﬁnely chopped
- 1 piece bacon bone or smoked ribs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup McKenzie’s Italian Style Soup Mix, rinsed
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 200g savoy cabbage, shredded
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Grated parmesan, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add onion, carrots, celery and garlic, cooking until onion is tender.
- Add bacon bone and tomato paste to pot. Cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the stock, water, Italian Soup Mix, parmesan rind and herbs. Bring to the boil and simmer for
- Add tomatoes, zucchini and cabbage. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste and accompany with parmesan to serve.
Substitute bacon bones with ham hock. Shred the meat from the bone before adding to the soup.
Try adding cavolo nero in place of cabbage or add green beans for extra vegetables.
Recipe and image kindly provided by McKenzie’s Foods, for more recipes visit their website.