These dumplings only take minutes to make but make an irresistible snack, breakfast or lunch.
Try them with the Kialla Foods Original Pancake Mix as well.
You will need a steamer and lid (any kind), cupcake papers, a saucepan.
This recipe uses a can of coconut cream. It is spread through the entire recipe in the dough, filling and sauce.
1 can = 400 ml/ 13.5 oz coconut cream
1 bottle of Kialla Pure Organic Buckwheat Pancake Mix
½ cup coconut water (from the bottom of the coconut cream can) topped up with ½ cup of milk or water if very thick. 250 ml / 1 cup in total
8 Tablespoons desiccated coconut
8 Tablespoons palm sugar (or coconut sugar)
8 teaspoons coconut cream
¼ cup brown sugar-(the brown colour makes the best sauce colour wise)
2 tablespoons water
½ cup thick coconut cream
- Put the brown sugar and water into a small pot and simmer till melted and combined without reducing too much. (about 1 minute) Add the coconut cream and simmer several minutes till just starting to reduce and bubble. Reduce a little more for a very thick sauce. This will make about a ½ cup ( I like to double- but that’s just me). Set aside in a jug.
- Now you are ready to cook. Put the steamer on and have everything ready for when your dumplings are done.
- Pour the dry buckwheat pancake mix into a bowl and add the coconut milk / water mixture. ¾ first then the rest when the first lot is absorbed.
- Mix with your hands till just combined forming a sticky dough, that stays together when pushed into a ball. Set aside. Clean hands and lay down a piece of greaseproof paper or a work surface.
- Make the dough into 6-8 balls, then flatten each one into a rough circle. Fill with a spoon of coconut mixture. Then with damp hands fold the mixture over itself and join together forming a ball with the filling inside. Pop into a cupcake wrapper. When they are all done put 3-4 into a steamer and steam for 8-10 minutes no more. Take off the steamer and remove the wrappers
- Serve them hot with the caramel sauce and extra coconut cream.
Recipe courtesy of Created by Tania Cusack of My Kitchen Stories on behalf of Kialla Foods.