This torte has a delightfully nutty chocolate flavour topped with berries to create this deliciously decadent dessert.
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, no added salt, drained (or 1 ¼ cups cooked chickpeas)
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup soft brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- 1 tbs cocoa powder, extra
- 200g fresh blueberries
- 200g fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin with cooking spray, line base with a round of baking paper.
- Place the chickpeas, orange juice, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Scrape down sides. Add egg whites (not beaten) and coconut and blend again to just incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, turn out onto a rack and cool completely before cutting.
- Place torte top-side down on a platter. Combine icing sugar and extra cocoa powder, generously dust over the cake. Arrange the berries over the top to serve.
© Recipe and image kindly provided by Sanitarium.