Indulge in the savoury delight of slow-cooked beans with crispy bacon simmered in flavourful stock, resulting in a comforting and hearty dish that’s sure to satisfy.
Prep time: 10 mins, plus soaking time | Cook time: 4 hours 10 mins
- 2 cups (400g) dried white beans
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 200g bacon, chopped finely (optional)
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 litre Campbell’s Real Stock – Salt-Reduced Chicken
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Place beans in a bowl and cover with water. Stand overnight.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Add bacon, if using and cook, stirring for 3-4 mins until golden. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Transfer to a 4.5L (18-cup) slow cooker with tomato paste, Campbell’s Real Stock and herbs.
- Cook, covered, for 4 hrs on high (or 8 hrs on low) or until beans tender and sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Tip: for a thicker consistency, cook, uncovered for the last 30-60 mins.
Recipe and image kindly supplied by Arnott’s.