Prep and Cook: Prep 10 mins, cook 30 mins
Servings: Serves 4
- 8 slices Abbott’s Bakery Farmhouse Wholemeal
- 1/3 cup salt reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 skinless & boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- ½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 large handful Thai basil leaves
- 3 spring onions, cut into thin strips
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 cucumber, finely sliced
- 8 tsp Japanese mayonnaise
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Whisk soy sauce and honey together in a bowl. Add chicken and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Place vinegar and castor sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour vinegar mixture over julienned carrots in a small bowl and let sit for at least an hour to pickle.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, coriander, Thai basil, spring onions, lime juice and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and toss to combine.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium. Allow excess marinade to drip off the chicken before adding it to the pan. Cook for around 5 minutes one side, then turn chicken and add a tablespoon of leftover marinade to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, and spread roughly 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise to the ‘lid’ of each sandwich.
- To each sandwich add chicken, slaw, cucumber, carrot pickle/vinegar mixture and Sriracha to taste.