Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, leaves reserved, stalks finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup puréed tomato
- 2 × 400g canned chick peas, drained
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 1 cup (50 g) baby spinach
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic, celery, carrot until onion is translucent.
- Stir through herbs, chilli flakes, salt, sugar, puréed tomato, chick peas and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, toss through spinach and season with pepper.
You could add grated kefalograviera or parmesan cheese at the end, but note that this will affect the fat and sodium content.
Recipe kindly provided by Professor Catherine Itsiopoulos.