Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils, washed and drained
- 700ml tomato passata (tomato purée)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500ml salt-reduced chicken or beef stock
- 2 cups shredded spinach or silverbeet
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200g spaghetti
- Finely grated parmesan cheese and salad, to serve
- Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium-high heat and brown mince. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, lentils, passata, oregano and stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until flavour has developed and sauce has thickened. Add spinach, lemon juice and freshly cracked pepper.
- Bring a large covered saucepan of water to the boil, add spaghetti, stir once and cook uncovered for the amount of time specified on the pack. Drain pasta.
- To serve, divide spaghetti between serving bowls, ladle sauce onto spaghetti, top with grated parmesan and serve a green salad on the side.