Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 small or medium beetroot, washed
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbs tahini
- Approximately 1 cup water
- Wrap the beetroots in foil and cook in a 200 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until tender when poked with a knife. Remove from the oven, chop off the rough end and cut into chunks. Allow to cool.
- Place the cooled beetroot, chickpeas, spices, garlic, juice and tahini in the bowl of a food processor. Blend, gradually adding water until spreadable/dippable consistency is reached. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with crackers or vegie sticks.
You can peel the beets if you want to, but this can get very messy
Recipe courtesy of 2016 International Year of Pulses Australian Signature Dish Recipe Competition, entered by Amy Carrad, NSW.