Caponata is a tasty eggplant relish that can be served hot, warm or at room temperature with toasted sourdough and sardines.
Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 40 mins
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup capers, in vinegar and drained
- ¼ cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- 2 x 110g cans no-added-salt sardines, drained
- 4 pieces wholegrain sourdough, lightly toasted
- Heat EVOO in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add eggplant and cook for 5-8 minutes, tossing constantly, until the eggplant is glossy. Add the capsicum, tomatoes and 1 cup water and cook for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture just starts to break down.
- Stir in capers, olives, vinegar and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and the caponata is thick and stew like. Stir through pine nuts and fresh herbs.
- Store the caponata in an airtight container in the fridge covered with EVOO.
Recipe courtesy of Dietitian Connection, find more recipes over at their website.