Difficulty of recipe preparation: Intermediate
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins +
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1-2 small red chillies, seeds removed & finely chopped
- 2 tsps finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 cup washed and drained french-style green lentils
- 1 large carrot washed and diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- For topping: 400 gms cauliflower cut into small florets
- 250 gms fresh ricotta
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds and 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 2 tbs chopped coriander
- Turn oven to 180 degrees C, fan-forced 160 degrees C.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and gently cook chopped onions until softened.
Add ginger, chillies and garlic and stir for a few minutes, then add spices & stir for a few minutes.
- Add lentils, stock, carrots and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Taste for seasoning. Put into 4-5 small ramekins or 1 larger casserole. Spoon topping over and gently spread. Cook for 30 minutes or until browned. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with Kasundi and a crisp green salad.
- For topping: Boil cauliflower florets in salted water until tender, drain and put into a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add ricotta and mash together. In a small pan heat 1 tsp oil and add seeds. shake about until popping. Cool for a few minutes and the add to ricotta mixture with chopped coriander. Mix well.
Recipe courtesy of 2016 International Year of Pulses Australian Signature Dish Recipe Competition, entered by Helen Semmler, VIC.