Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus 3-4 hours soaking time
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- ½ cup Kialla’s Organic Mung Beans, soaked for 3-4 hours
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsps ginger, minced
- 2 tsps garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 200ml coconut milk, canned
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 300ml water
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Heat a pan with oil, add the cumin & garam masala and heat till aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Next add the curry leaves, fry the curry leaves and add the ginger & garlic, salt, cook for another minute.
- Combine the onions with the spice mix and cook till translucent.
- Once the onion is cooked, add in the crushed tomatoes & water.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the mung beans, ensure there is enough liquid to cover the beans. If not, top up with water.
- Simmer on low till the mung beans are tender, about 20-30 minutes
- Add in the coconut milk and combine – simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh coriander, brown rice & natural yoghurt.
Recipe courtesy of Jacqui Toumbas for Kialla foods – for more recipes visit Kialla’s website here.