Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup brown sushi rice (or medium grain rice)
- 1 cup white sushi rice (koshihikari)
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 litre hot water
- 1 carrot
- 1 large fillet snapper, or 1 whole small baby snapper (scaled)
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 thin spring onions, finely sliced
- Wash the rice and combine it with 2-3 tbsp of Adam Liaw’s Whole Grain Rice Mix in a small heavy-based pot. Drain the mushrooms from the liquid and add the liquid to the rice mixture until the liquid reaches 1.5cm above the top of the rice.
- Slice the mushrooms, carrot and snapper and place on top of the rice. Scatter over the sake, mirin and soy sauce.
- Place the pot over heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid is absorbed by the rice and then cover and reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 12 minutes, then turn off the heat and stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir the rice with a paddle, scatter with the spring onions and serve.