Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lukewarm water
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 cups (300g) wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 egg white
- Handful of basil leaves
- Place the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5-10 minutes or until the surface is foamy.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix until a dough forms. Turn out onto a work surface and knead lightly for 5-6 minutes or until smooth and elastic.Place in a lightly oiled large bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for in a warm place for 20 minutes or until risen slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured surface to 1mm thick. Lightly brush with the egg white, top with the basil leaves and press to secure. Brush the lavosh with extra oil and sprinkle with extra salt. Place half the lavosh on two large baking trays and cook for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and repeat with the remaining lavosh.