Preparation time: 2 hours including proving time
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 300g (2 cups) wholemeal flour
- 7g dried instant yeast
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, finely chopped
- Pulse the flour in a food processor to break up any lumps. Add the yeast, 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 cup (250ml) water and process for 1 minute until dough resembles fine crumbs. Add 1tsp salt and process for a further minute until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp, clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the olives on a paper-lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes until slightly dried out. Set aside to cool.
- Knock back the dough once its proved and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead in olives until incorporated, then cut the dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 25cm long sausage.
- Brush each length of dough with olive oil and season.
- Place on 3 paper-lined baking trays, spaced 2cm apart. Cover trays with a damp tea towel and set aside for a further 20 minutes to rise slightly. Bake grissini (in batches if necessary) for 15-20 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.