Difficulty of recipe preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes + cooling time
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes (600-700g in total)
- 2/3 cup gourmet dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup almonds, grounded or 80g almond meal
- 1 cup lupin flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- a pinch of salt
- Prepare a steamer (if using) or in a huge pot, boil a shallow layer of water (around 3 cm in depth). Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan forced).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks. Place into the steamer or put the sweet potatoes on a plate/bowl and place into the pot of boiling water for around 20 minutes until soft and mushy.
- In a food processor, blend dates and cooked sweet potatoes to form a smooth and creamy paste.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and then add in the sweet potato and date paste. Stir to combine.
- Place the mixture into a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes. You can test with a toothpick if it comes out clean when pierced through the brownies.
- Allow to cool on a rack and cut into pieces as desired.
Gluten free and vegan friendly, a healthy makeover and a lighter way to enjoy a classic Australia’s favourite.
Recipe courtesy of 2016 International Year of Pulses Australian Signature Dish Recipe Competition, entered by Chloris Leung, NSW.