Building a delicious and healthy sandwich for you or your child can be done in just a few simple steps!
- Choose your bread – Look for ones that are labelled as high or very high in whole grain.
- Choose a spread – Spreads like guacamole, hummus, or mayo can be used to add flavour
- Choose your protein source – Include a protein source like chicken, eggs, cheese, or beans to help build and maintain muscle.
- Choose your veggies – Include a variety and switch it up – remember to eat the rainbow! Some great options are tomato, spinach, cucumber and capsicum.
And that’s it! Enjoy your delicious and healthy sandwich.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp guacamole
- 100g firm tofu
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp beetroot hummus
- ¼ carrot, finely chopped into sticks
- 4 slices cucumber
- 3 slices tomato
- ¼ cup alfalfa sprouts or other sprouts
- 2 slices wholegrain or wholemeal bread
- Press tofu by wrapping with paper towel and placing a heavy object on top to absorb moisture
- Cut tofu into strips
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat
- Drizzle olive oil on pan
- Cook tofu for about 5 minutes or until golden brown
- Spread guacamole on one slice of bread
- Spread beetroot hummus on other slice of bread
- Layer alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, tomato, carrot, and tofu on bread.
- Complete by topping with second slice of bread. Enjoy!