To celebrate the humble pulse this World Pulses Day we’ve put together a list of our favourite ways to use beans, peas and lentils…
1. Summer smoothies for breakfast: A healthy breakfast sets you up for a day of healthier eating and on warmer mornings smoothies make the perfect quick and easy option. But have you ever added legumes to your morning smoothie? Give it a go with a handful of cooked cannellini beans, red lentils or a couple of teaspoons of lupin flakes! Be inspired with our smoothie recipes here.
2. Easy lunches: Busy days mean little time to stop and put together a healthy lunch, so using a few pantry staples is the best way to nourish your body with little effort. Chopping up cucumber, tomato, radishes, adding a handful of greens, some cooked brown rice and a tin of chickpeas in lemon, pepper and olive oil and you’ve got a deliciously filling summer salad on the table in just a few minutes!
3. Healthy nibbles: No party platter is complete without at least one dip for veggie sticks and crackers, and the choice most of us agree on is hummus. But rather than grabbing some from the shops, impress your friends with a homemade version. You’ll be surprised at just how simple it is –this Classic Hummus has just 6 ingredients, and all you’ll need to whip it up is 10 minutes and a food processor!
4. Weekend prepping: Prepping a quick frittata at the weekend makes for simple lunches and protein-rich snacks and adding peas into the mix creates delicious pops of sweetness while also boosting your legume intake – yes, fresh peas count as both a vegetable and legume serve! Try Sanitarium’s easy Pasta & Vegetable Frittata here.
5. Quick dips: Make a quick and easy dip to use to top toast, accompany chopped veggies, stir through pasta or pep up a sandwich. Try our Pea & Broad Bean Dip for a tasty pop of colour!
6. Crispy chickpeas: Just a few spices and a tin of chickpeas makes for a very tasty snack when given a little love! Our Spiced Crispy Chickpeas take mere moments to prep, then pop them in the oven for an eat-anytime snack, crunchy salad topper or to liven up your pasta.
7. Show lupins some love: Have you tried lupins? The latest legume on the block packs a punch with a high dietary fibre and protein content and is available in flours, flakes and kibble! The easiest way to enjoy the benefits of lupins is to add 1/2 cup into our Blueberry & Vanilla Muffins.
8. Simple treats: Another easy lunchbox treat, these Super Lentil Bites are made with a mix of lentils and nuts and are packed with healthy fats and fibre. Better yet, they’ll be ready to eat in just 10 minutes!
9. Meat-free meals: Whether you’re mixing up the weekly menu with more plant-based meals, or are expecting vegetarian guests for lunch, there are endless options for meat-free recipes. Try experimenting with tofu, nuts and seeds, legumes like lentils or chickpeas, and different cheeses like haloumi and feta. A winner for summer BBQs are these Stuffed Capsicums, made with chickpeas, brown rice, pine nuts, and goats cheese or feta.
10. Different desserts: You’ve heard of hummus, but how about dessert hummus? Although it might sound crazy, this sweet tasting dip is trending, and thanks to social media, finding recipe inspiration is only a few clicks away. All you need is a base of drained, rinsed chickpeas and a few other ingredients blended in the food processor. With options like chocolate chip peanut butter, snickerdoodle, chocolate, and apple pie, you’ll almost forget you’re still getting a serve of legumes in! Try cutting up a selection of fruit for dipping.
11. Tasty toppers: Just three ingredients make the most delicious topping for crackers – simply mash cooked peas, ricotta and chopped mint and use to top wholemeal crackers for an easy afternoon snack that’ll keep you fuelled till dinnertime.
12. Summer BBQs: Whether you’re hosting, or heading to a BBQ as a guest, coming up with a crowd-pleasing side-dish can be tricky. Give this Fresh Lentil, Mango & Quinoa Salad a try and watch it disappear!
However you add more legumes to your day, make sure you have fun with your food!