Prep Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 patties
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsps chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp barbeque sauce
- Wholegrain or wholemeal bun and desired fixings
- In a small bowl mix together ground flax seed and water and let sit for 5 minutes. This will form a flax ‘egg’.
- In a large bowl, add black beans, kidney beans, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, coriander, balsamic vinegar, and wholemeal flour and mash with potato masher or fork. Mash until it holds together, and everything is well combined, but some chunks remain.
- Add the flax ‘egg’ and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes to help firm.
- Using your hands, form mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat (Alternatively, brush with olive oil to prevent sticking). Cook burgers for approximately 5 minutes per side until charred.
- Once cooked, glaze burgers with barbeque sauce
- Add burger to whole grain or wholemeal bun and serve with desired fixings. Pictured with pickled onion, sprouts, and avocado.